Friday 30 October 2009

Reflection on Wheel Cut

The teeth gaps look pushed out rather than cut out. I think I`ve made a huge error as I aligned the cutter and wheel on the x-axis and then fed the wheel straight into the cutter on the Y-axis. Consequently, is this not simply pusing out the groove rather than using the cutting angle and cutting it out? I appreciate the tool may not be to correct size for module .8 cutter but in terms of the cutting angles and rake, the tool looks fine and is sharp. Thinking about it now, I`ve been "hitting" into the face of the brass with the face of the cutter rather than using the cuting edges, no?



Chris

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris, its all looking good. Apart from them teeth!

    Maybe a little manipulation and a polish up... your wheel might work?
    But its not very pretty. :)
    I think you are brave making your own cutter. Mine is bought.
    But I dont want to discourage you from making one. Your cutter was looking good up until you chopped it in half!
    Could you have somehow cut/grind teeth into it to make it look like a proper one =
    http://www.ppthornton.com/

    Meadows & Passmore sell them for about £60.
    http://www.m-p.co.uk/

    Craig.

    ReplyDelete