Wednesday 2 December 2009

Intermediate Wheel - Second Attempt

I`m really pleased. Here is what has changed since my last attempt:

1. Clockmakers CZ120 engravers brass, I would never bother trying with soft brass again!!
2. A new sharp hardened cutter
3. My new CNC rotary table which worked a treat!

I`m really pleased. I`m going to re-do it as I still feel the teeth are a touch spiral which indicated my cutter was not centre. I spent a good 10 minutes eyeballing the centre with a dead centre held in the rotary table and locking the Z-axis to position. I`m certain it was centre so I need to work out what was wrong, perhaps the cutter is not sitting parallel?

The wheel could possibly run OK as it is only a fraction out and barely noticeable but I think I`ll go for a re-make. Just need to figure how to get this bob on centre height.

These pictures are still on the rotary table with the teeth just cut. They have since been dressed and cleaned up. The difference is the flakes that are still on the photos just flick off and rub off with fine paper where as with the soft brass in my last attempt at cutting, the brass flakes left behind were smudged and could not be cleaned.









Chris

4 comments:

  1. Hi Chris
    I have been following your wheel cutting adventures and I think you have now mastered it.
    The leaning teeth must be due to the cutters alignment if you got the cutter dead centre of the wheel. Well done.
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian

    Thanks for posting. It is nice to see someone is reading about what I`m doing! I think sometimes I`m just writing to myself. Even if I was I would continue as I think it is a great inspiration keeping a log of my progress.
    Yes, I think I`m certainly getting closer! Now without buying a mod. 0.8 cutter and cutting a tooth with a commercial one, I haven`t a clue if the teeth are the correct profile! I`m guessing they must be close or wouldn`t they be incorrect form when I got back around to the start position with my cutter?

    Are you a clockbuilder by any chance?

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris
    I make clocks, restore clocks, talk clocks and even dream about them. You will have seen my blog about the re-start of the lyre clock project. I decided to do the blog just to find out how a blog worked, I will now keep it up but I think like you I am writeing it to myself. When I made my first clock I was like you completely on my own, but over the years I have made many friends in horology. So keep up the good work and you will eventually make contact with like minded people.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris
    Things will be coming to a standstill, blog wise that is, for a week or two due to the seasonal hard work that is ahead. I will set up for some workshop photos in the new year. So seasonal greetings to you and I will commence blogging in the new year.
    Regards Brian

    ReplyDelete